At Aarons Pets we are licenced to sell Vet Strength products. Some members of staff are qualified SQP's and have undergone training to be able to sell them. If you want to treat or prevent your animal from fleas we recommend Frontline.
FRONTLINE Spot On is a treatment for both cats and dogs that gives long-lasting protection against fleas and ticks and controls biting lice. In a convenient and easy-to-apply pipette, it kills parasites fast and goes on protecting your pet. If you have a cat or dog, the chances are they’ll experience a flea infestation – and be exposed to the diseases fleas can carry – at some time in their life. FRONTLINE Spot On kills adult fleas on your pet within 24 hours and keeps your pet protected for up to 5 weeks in cats and approximately 2 months in dogs. FRONTLINE Spot On kills ticks within 48hours, minimising the risk of a tick-borne disease being transmitted to your pet. FRONTLINE Spot On is also effective against the main types of biting lice on dogs and cats, controlling lice infestations within 48 hours.
How does FRONTLINE Spot On work?
FRONTLINE Spot On acts by direct contact with parasites and not via your pet’s bloodstream. It kills fleas within 24 hours without requiring them to bite your pet.
- FRONTLINE Spot On is applied externally to your pet’s skin on the back of the neck.
- The active ingredient, fipronil, quickly dissolves into the natural oils of your pet’s skin and coat, dispersing over the entire body surface within 24 hours and concentrating in the skin's oil glands to form a reservoir.
- Fipronil is then secreted with the natural oils of the skin and hair, continuously coating your pet’s skin and hair for several weeks after application – in fact it’s the longest-lasting spot on flea treatment available without prescription.
How do I apply FRONTLINE Spot On?
- Select the correct size pipette for the weight of the animal. It is recommended to weigh the pet as under dosing will not be as effective.
- Hold the pipette upright. Tap the narrow neck of the pipette to ensure the contents are in the main body. Then, break the snap-off top of the pipette along the scored lines.
- Part the coat between the shoulder blades until the skin is visible. This is important.
- Place the tip of the pipette on the skin and squeeze gently to empty its contents onto the skin, at one or two spots where the animal cannot lick it off.
For cats, one at the base of the skull and a second 2-3cm further back is advisable.
Animals may be handled as soon as the application site's dry.
The minimum treatment interval is 4 weeks.
Bathing or water immersion of dogs 48 hours after application will not stop FRONTLINE Spot On working effectively. Apply at 6 weekly intervals if the pet is shampooed weekly.
Why am I Still seeing Fleas on my pet?
The most common complaint we get is people still seeing fleas on their pet even after applying Frontline Spot On. THIS IS NORMAL. Frontline is designed to kill as many fleas as it possibly can. It works by affecting the fleas nervous system and once the flea has been contaminated by jumping on the pet it makes it spasm. This makes them highly active and is why they are so visible. Rest assured that these adult fleas will be dead in the next 24 hours. You are simply seeing new fleas that have hatched from the pupae in your home. (see below) The other reason can be that you need to treat your pets environment. One adult flea can lay up to 50 eggs a day which drop off into your home where the lifecycle continues. When the pet walks past the area the fleas jump on the pet. So the frontline will eventually help to clear the environment but we recommend you use a good household spray, see next paragraph.
What about fleas in my home?
If you’ve got a massive infestation or are taking measures against fleas for the first time, it’s a good idea to treat your pet’s environment with a suitable product. For every 5 fleas on your pet, there are 95 in the pet’s environment in the form of flea eggs, larvae and pupae. By the time your pet starts scratching, there could already be an infestation in your home – and infestations can be hard to resolve.
Environmental sprays are available to treat the eggs and larvae in your home, please ask us and we will recommend a suitable treatment. If you start treating when your pet already has fleas, you might occasionally still see fleas on your pet even after you’ve applied FRONTLINE Spot On. Don’t worry, it doesn’t mean the treatment’s not working. You are simply seeing new fleas that have hatched from the pupae in your
The fact is, there is no product available to kill flea pupae. But once the pupae have hatched into adult fleas, which jump onto your pet, FRONTLINE Spot On efficiently kills them within 24 hours. It’s just a matter of waiting for all of the pupae to hatch(this can take several weeks or even months) and ensuring that you continue to protect your pet with FRONTLINE Spot On.
All year round
Some people think that fleas, ticks and lice are just a problem in the summer. Sadly they are wrong. Your pet needs to be protected regularly whatever the season or it will be susceptible to the irritation – and more serious problems – that these bugs can bring.
As the weather warms up, fleas and ticks start to breed quicker and quicker.
The summer months are when your pet is at the most risk. The temperature and humidity can quickly lead to huge flea infestations and massive problems for your pet and your family.
This is the time of year when it’s particularly important to guard against tick infestations and the re-emergence of fleas – especially when you turn on the central heating.
It might be cold outside but your warm home makes an ideal breeding ground for fleas – the risk to your pet never goes away.
Frontline Plus is now available in our stores. It has all the great features of Frontline plus the added benefit on home protection. When you apply Frontline Plus and the flea becomes contaminated, when that flea lays eggs before it dies after 24 hours the eggs will not hatch. It sterilises the flea thus breaking down the lifecycle quicker and helping to protect your home.
We would still recommend you treat your home but you may find after a period of using Frontline Plus you may not need to as often.
We also stock licensed Flea treatment Effipro. Developed with pet owners in mind, the award-winning innovative Effipro® pipette with its unique Drop-Lock technology puts you in complete control. The new Effipro pipette is:
- Easy to open - simply snap the top of the pipette
- Easy to apply - gentle pressure will release the product when you and your pet are ready
- Easy to control - innovative Drop-Lock technology ensures that the product goes on your pet and not on you
- Easy to see - clear chamber allows you to see when you have applied all the product
Effipro stays locked away until a little gentle pressure is applied so no matter how many times you have to put it down to get a better hold of your pet, the product stays in the pipette until you and your pet are ready.