Fleas can be a problem even for the most spotless of home or on the cleanest pet!
Fleas are a type of external parasite. There are different species of fleas, such as Dog fleas, Cat fleas, Rabbit fleas and Human fleas.
* A Flea can live from between 14 days to a Year
* A Female Flea can lay up to 50 Eggs in one day - that`s approximately 1500 in a lifetime!
* 5 Fleas on an Untreated Pet, in Four Weeks can produce over One Million Fleas
* It`s estimated that 95% of Flea Eggs, Larvae and Pupae live in the environment and NOT on your Pet
Signs your Pet might have Fleas
There are a few things that you can look out for that could mean your pet has fleas:
* Is your Pet Scratching?
* Areas of hair loss, bald or sore patches?
* Redness and irritation?
* Can you see tiny dark specks in its fur, or Browny-Black insects scurrying about?
* Do you have any unaccounted for insect bites yourself?
If you have answered `Yes` to any of these questions, it could mean Fleas!
COMB YOUR PET TO CHECK FOR FLEAS!
A good way to check if your pet has fleas is to groom them using a fine-toothed Flea Comb, held over something White like kitchen paper. Any Fleas or Flea droppings will be deposited on the surface. Add a few drops of water and if the dropping turn Reddish Brown it is extremely likely your pet has Fleas!
If you are still unsure if your pet has fleas or simplywant to know more information about what product to use, please call in and speak to a member of the Aaron`s Pets team who will be happy to advise.
PET FLEA TREATMENT
It is essential to treat both your pet and your home, as fleas can survive in the environment without a host for many months. Flea Treatment can easily be done at home!
* Flea Treatments such as Frontline prevent and get rid of fleas and ticks by regularly using on your pets.
* Treat Quickly as they can give your dog or cat tapeworms and diseases
* Always Treat on a Regular Basis for Fleas and Ticks, as it is an awful lot quicker to Prevent
Regular cleaning your Pets Bedding and vacuuming floors, furniture and skirting boards to help destroy fleas at each stage of their lifecycle.
Always empty the contents of the hoover straight away, outside in the dustbin to help prevent any flea eggs and larvae from hatching/developing!
Flea Bites can make your pet uncomfortable and itchy and can sometimes cause other problems.
* Allergic Reactions can sometime occur if your pet is hypersensitive to flea saliva
* Blood loss can sometimes occur on very young or older frail animals, as fleas love to feed on your pets blood!
* Flea larvae can become infected with tapeworm eggs so make sure your pet is treated for worms.
Should you require any further advice on fleas, flea treatment or worming your pet, please pop in and speak to a member of the Aarons Pets team who will be happy to advise.